The pressure is high for the road trip planner who wants to make this Valentine’s Day special by creating a romantic weekend road trip for two. But relax…you’re already earning bonus points just for planning this getaway!
If you want to infuse the element of surprise into your road trip planning, secretly pack a suitcase and stow it in the trunk of the car. Admittedly, this works better if it’s the woman who’s doing the surprise. Men generally aren’t as picky as to what they’ll wear out to dinner while women have definite ideas, so men, if you want to keep the road trip a total surprise, I’d recommend on packing at least 3 different outfits for her or pack just the day clothes and add shops to your itinerary to take her shopping for her to choose an outfit to wear out for dinner.
· A picnic basket with a wine bottle opener, cutting board, utensils, etc. Stop at a local store to pick up the wine, cheese, crackers. This is also a good time to ask the locals about their favorite spots for a picnic.
· A blanket to take for your picnic in the sun or for night-time star gazing.
· Scented candles for the hotel room.
· Romantic CDs for the hotel room, upbeat CDs for when cruising on the highway.
· A good road map (nothing kills the romantic mood faster than arguing about how you missed the turnoff or why you can’t pull over and ask for directions). However, if you should get lost, view it an adventure and use it as an opportunity to stop for refreshments or pick up a souvenir from your unexpected detour.
So, what will fill your road trip planner?
· If you’re anywhere near the Finger Lakes Region in New York, check out this detailed blog loaded with details to make this trip a truly romantic getaway.
· If you enjoy wine and vineyards, this blog will give you some great ideas on where to go.
· If you have kids, make sure you check out this page for tips on how to best blend family life with romantic encounters with your spouse.
· Beaches or lakefronts are always romantic backdrops.
· A room with a fireplace adds warmth and a soft light setting for romance.
· Dressing for dinner sets the tone for your night out.
· A nice restaurant with a view is a nice touch.
· Walk along Main Street after dinner, and explore those shops that catch your interest.
If your anniversary or when Valentine’s Day falls in the middle of the week and your road trip isn’t scheduled till the weekend, earn some bonus points by doing little things before the trip:
· Bring home a dozen roses.
· Better yet, have those roses delivered at her office during lunch hour.
· Better yet, bring home a single rose (in this case, less is more…go figure).
· Make heart-shaped toast, pancakes, French toast or apple wedges.
· Sprinkle the dining table with rose petals (be it at home or at a restaurant).
A romantic road trip is a great excuse to awaken the road trip planner within you and fire up your relationship.